Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sharing






Matthew had his 9 month Dr. appointment today.  I was so proud of Josiah in the waiting room.  He was playing with another little boy and sharing the toys on the wall really well.  It reminded me of the whole “Everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarden” concept. 
 As we grow we get good at giving the appearance of generosity.  We can make people believe we are sharing well when we are really withholding.  When I tell Josiah to give Matthew a toy he never gives him his favorite toys.  He finds a toy he doesn’t like very much and gives him that.  It’s a victory when he shares something he really likes.  
The Bible tells us to give to those who asks us.  I remember once when I was in Mexico that I was eating in a little chicken place.  A little girl came up to me and I didn’t understand her.  I just said no and she went to someone else.  The man she approached bought her some food and she took it back to her family.  There have been many times when I have given to those who have asked me, but that one time that I didn’t has stayed with me.  As soon as I saw the man ask the waiter for the chicken for the little girl I felt ashamed.  And I’ve always regretted my lack of compassion and generosity in that situation.  
Many times we can be like Josiah only sharing the things we no longer have a use for.  Let’s go the extra mile and be generous beyond what we may be asked for.  The treasures we have in Heaven are much more valuable than any bank account balance we may have here on earth.
And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well.  If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.  Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Matthew 5:40-42
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing.  Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me.”
Luke 18:22


0 comments:

Post a Comment