Saturday, October 23, 2010

No Sick Days






It’s been a tough week, and it’s only Tuesday!  We had company from Friday to Monday, and the boys and I have been sick, Matthew is cutting 3 teeth, and now we are having car trouble.  The house is a wreak and I don’t have the energy to do much more than keeping my boys fed, changed and in clean clothes.  Really if being a mother and wife were a job I’d have called in sick.  But regardless of how I feel, my baby needs to nurse.  And regardless of how I feel my toddler needs my hugs and to use me as a jungle gym from time to time.  We all need to eat and someone has to do dishes.  In motherhood there are times when we feel great and enjoy all the little tasks.  And at times it’s work, but because we know the outcome is happy and healthy children we make it through by keeping our eyes on the prize instead of on our circumstances.  
Sometimes we can think of Jesus’ life with rose colored glasses.  We think about him performing miracles, healing, and giving hope to those who sought after him.  But I’d have to say I think that Jesus had weeks like mine.  There were times when the road was rough.  Where he met with obstacles far greater than mine.  Many of his disciples left him.  He was not accepted by the religious leaders.  He was the Son of God and was accused of being possessed by demons!  That’s not to mention the terrible death He suffered.  But He kept His eyes on the prize.  He knew that even though it wasn’t always a pleasant life it would all be worth it in the end.  
We could do all kinds of scientific studies about the effects having a mother who cares for you as a child or not, and I’m sure they have been done.  But I don’t need anyone to tell me what my prize will be.  When I see the smile on my baby boy’s face when he wakes up in the morning and sees me.  Or see the love on my toddler’s face when he spontaniously grabs my head and gives me kisses.  That’s when I see my prize.  I see them grown, serving the Lord, doing great things, and living lives of importance.  And I accept this job, sick days or no sick days.  
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last;  but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Corinthians 9:24-25



0 comments:

Post a Comment