Saturday, October 23, 2010

Close To His Heart





Why is it that babies love to lay on their parents chests?  Because they love to be near and be able to hear our hearts.  It’s soothing.  It calms.  It brings them peace.  Caleb loves to lie on my chest.  When he’s fussy my first instinct is to pick him up and hold him close.  Regardless of the reason for his fussing it always works, although it may be temporary.  My picking him up lets him know that I’m close.  That I’ll provide him with whatever he needs.  If he’s dirty, I’ll change him.  If he’s hungry, I’ll feed him.  If he’s sleepy, I’ll put him to sleep.
I’m the same way with God.  I long to be close to His heart.  I desire and need his presence and his embrace the way Caleb needs mine.  I find the same thing in God’s presence to.  Peace.  He lets me know that he’ll provide everything I need.  If I’m dirty, He cleanses me.  If I’m hungry, He feeds me.  If I’m in need of rest, He provides it.  I will always seek what I need in His presence.  It’s the only place find true comfort.
But as for me, it is good to be near God.  I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge;  I will tell of all your deeds.
Psalm 73:28
What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him?
Deuteronomy 4:7

0 comments:

Post a Comment