Saturday, October 23, 2010

The New Pool





Josiah has been asking for a “pool for swimming” for two or three weeks now.  We finally bought one today, and much to my husband’s surprise, I didn’t think to buy a pump to blow it up with.  So today he was Superdaddy with the amazing lungs.  The boys had a blast playing in the pool, but Josiah really didn’t understand why we couldn’t fill it with water the minute we took it out of the box.  He actually started taking off his shirt while bouncing up and down saying “pool!”, “swimming!” the minute we got home with it.  What does a two year old know about the time it takes to blow up a pool or the fact that by then it was rainy outside and starting to get dark.  Although he didn’t like it we had to tell him he couldn’t go swimming until tomorrow.  He’ll just have to wait.
I can assure you that at his age he doesn’t understand my reasons for not letting him swim in his pool right away.  I can also assure you that my reasons are for his benefit not mine.  I’d hate him to catch a cold or get lots of mosquito bites from swimming at night.  So many times when we receive a promise from God we expect it to arrive right away just like my promise to let Josiah go swimming in his new pool.  Why does God sometimes let us know a little about what He has in store for us long before it’s His time for it to happen?  I’m not sure, but I know He has His reasons and they are for our benefit.  Just think of how many years Abraham had to wait before he had his first son, but God proved himself faithful in His promise to make him the father of many nations.  Why did it take so long?  Maybe it was to make the rest of us realize that it’s worth the wait.
No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations.
Genesis 17:5



0 comments:

Post a Comment