Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bathroom Break


My children love me.  My children need me.  My children depend on me for everything.  My children would prefer to never leave my side.  I’m reminded of this whenever I need to use the bathroom.  
I like most people prefer to use the bathroom alone.  My boys would rather be with me.  Yes, even when I’m in the bathroom!  I try to run in without them noticing.  But unless they are all asleep I’ll have someone banging on the door crying “Mami!” before I’m done.  
Today that was Matthew.  He started out by knocking, then crying, then yelling, and eventually was sticking his little hands under the door passing me flashcards.  (In the past I’ve also been passed cars and cookies)  It was so sweet to see his little fingers I really wish I’d have had my camera with me, but I had no idea I would need it.  
My boys crave my presence.  They love to be in constant contact with me.  They want my attention, and want to be touching me all the time.  It’s really beautiful.  This love and desire they have to be with me is the same love and desire we should have for God’s presence.  
If the Holy Spirit took a five minute bathroom break from your life how would you react?  Would you notice?  Would you be knocking on the door?  Crying out for Him to let you in?  Would you stick your little fingers under the door just to be a few inches closer?  Or would you unknowingly keep going with your life?  Do you really desire to live in the Lord’s presence, or do you want Him to show up just when you’re in need?
Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
Psalms 84:10

0 comments:

Post a Comment