Friday, October 29, 2010

Childproofing

As I was ironing this morning I looked down and saw the electric plug cover on the floor.  It reminded me of a while ago when I had bought a pack, started to put them in, got distracted, and then forgot where I had put them.  We lasted a while keeping the doors to the rooms shut since they weren’t child proofed yet.  Then one day Samuel opened a drawer in our dresser we never used and asked me if I knew we had a bunch of child proofing stuff in it. 

Well I had bought everything, but it was doing me no good sitting in the drawer.  I had to actually use it!  Just like I protect my children from danger by child proofing my house God protects us by giving us his armor.  But armor does no good sitting in the closet, just like the plug covers did me no good sitting in the drawer.  We’ve gotta put on our armor if we want to have the protection we need.  And we NEED all of it!  Why have the helmet of salvation and leave the breastplate of righteousness on the floor?  Our mind may be protected, but our heart would be wide open to attack.  I wouldn’t put only one cover on a socket with two plugs!  I’d only be half protecting my children.  So let’s do an inventory.  Are we truly using the armor God had given us?  Have we picked up the sword of his word?  Do we speak and live in truth?  Do we live in righteousness?  Are we ready at all times to share the gospel of peace?  Are we covered with the shield of faith?  Are we wearing our salvation as a helmet?  If we are missing any one of these things it’s like leaving an electric socket open when we already bought the cover.  It’s there.  Jesus bought it for us. Let’s use it!

What a difference it would make when life gets difficult or things happen to us if we would only wear our armor.


For the word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;  it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Hebrews 4:12

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.  Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:13-17

0 comments:

Post a Comment