Saturday, October 23, 2010

Representatives of Christ


While at church today I was looking around and thinking about how we are Christ’s representatives here on earth, and how the image we present the world is how they will view not only Christianity, but also Christ.  Even the small things, the way we dress, how we treat strangers we run across, the smile we give to the person at the drive-thru, or the way we may let our anger get the best of us can either help us represent Jesus correctly or incorrectly.  
I’ve been on both sides as I’m sure most of us have.  I’ve had times where total strangers have asked me why I seem to have so much peace, and I’ve had days where I walk in my house ashamed and in disbelief of how I acted in public.  
I’ve heard many preachers say that people here in the US have been told enough about Jesus, that what they want is to see Him in action through the way we live our lives.  It is of utmost importance that we live in a way that glorifies God. But I think that there are many Christians who use this as an excuse not to open their mouths and share Christ’s salvation with others.  Both are necessary.  
We have to walk the walk AND talk the talk.  I can have a friend who doesn’t know Christ, and live an upstanding Christian life in front of her, but if I never actually tell her about my relationship with Jesus she could easily think that I was just a nice person.  Someone who is just a nice person doesn’t necessarily change lives.  Someone who is filled with the Holy Spirit and through their words and actions represents the Lord well will.
As mothers we have the amazing privilege to daily show Christ’s love to and teach our children.  They actually want to be like us and learn from us!  Truth be told if you are nervous about sharing Christ with strangers you can start practicing with your children.  They should always be your first mission field anyway.  Talk to them about what God has done in your life.  Teach them to be His representatives here on earth, and in the process you’ll be amazed at how you make a more conscious effort to be His representative yourself.  
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surly I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Matthew 28:18-20

Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains.  Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.  
Ephesians 6:19-20






0 comments:

Post a Comment