Saturday, October 23, 2010

A Place Of Covering





I went to the mall today in Dallas (not MY mall since I live in Arlington) to have lunch with a group of women from my church.  It was nice to spend time with them and was worth the drive.  After lunch I took my boys to play on the indoor playground they have their.  It was very exciting because it wasn’t the same as the one we have close to our house.  They played well for a while then Matthew found a tunnel and crawled inside.  As soon as he was inside he laid down and rested.  I guess it was nice and shaded inside.  Surely it was calmer than outside the tunnel where there was an abundance of noise and children running around.  It was somewhere he could feel safe and relax.  
It got me thinking about covering and protection.  As moms this is a huge part of our job and our days.  Covering and protecting our children.  We provide them a shelter to keep them safe physically and spiritually.  About a year ago we had a big storm in Arlington.  It rained a lot and the wind was really strong.  It blew the chimney off our roof.  Because of the absence of the chimney water got into our attic.  From the attic it got into our ceiling and if we hadn’t fixed it in time it would have come dripping down into our living room.  
When we think about being a covering for our children we are like a ceiling.  Our purpose is to protect them, but if we don’t have a roof above us we won’t be able to do it.  I would call God my roof.  When I am under the covering of His Holy Spirit it enables me to freely cover my children.  He provides the real shelter and because of that I can rest just like Matthew.  Even if the world outside is running around and crazy I find my place of rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
Psalms 91:1-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment