Saturday, October 23, 2010

Jumper Cables






So we’ve been having some car troubles lately, and haven’t found out what is causing them.  For some reason the battery dies at random times.  We thought we had gotten it fixed, but apparently not.  I was at Walmart doing some last minute shopping for Matthew’s first birthday party tomorrow and put the kids in the car.  It was warm so I wanted to roll the windows down for the boys before putting the groceries in the trunk.  When I tried to start the car it wouldn’t start.  
So there I was a visibly pregnant woman with two small children stranded in the Walmart parking lot at nap time.  Not one of my best moments.  I called Samuel, but he was to far away.  I called my father in law, but he had just gotten home after working all night and hadn’t slept.  I called my sister in law, but she was at the doctor with her daughter.  I called my other sister in law, but she didn’t answer.  
Just then a man with his teenage son was getting to his truck that was parked next to me.  So I asked if he could help jump start my car.  I did have cables after all.  He told me no and that there was a security car that could help.   I was thinking, yeah that’s what I’ll do, get my kids out of the car and carry them around the huge parking lot looking for a security guy.  Then two college age guys parked near me and I asked them for help.  They gladly moved their car and got mine started.  I thanked them and went straight home, even though my errands were not finished.  
It can be humbling to ask strangers for help, but that’s not what stuck with me after the incident.  What struck me was the teenage boy’s face when his father refused to help.  He lowered his head and looked embarrassed.  I’m sure the man had his reasons for not helping and this is in no way an attack on him, but it makes me hope that my children never have to feel embarrassed because their parents aren’t willing to help someone in need.  It all goes back to the golden rule and seeing someone in need as an opportunity to share Christ’s love with them.
Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.  Do to others as you would have them do to you.
Luke 6:30-31


0 comments:

Post a Comment