Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rest






Whoa!  What a day I had.  It was one of those days when nothing seemed to go right and everything took longer than planned.  I’m not sure if you’ve had one of those, but I have my fare share.  I was ready to leave the house when the baby started crying to eat.  I fed him and then it was time for diaper changes.  Then we couldn’t find my son’s special race car.  It’s really become a security blanket for him lately and he takes it everywhere!  We still haven’t found it.  Then the things I was looking for at Dollar Tree, things they always have, weren't there.  There are also no men's sweaters at Wal-Mart.  And so the day continued.  I had a coupon for formula, but they wouldn’t accept it.  I had an appointment and the lady I was supposed to meet forgot.  As I am writing this at 1:19 AM, baby Matthew woke up crying and I had to feed him and get him back to sleep again.
It is in these moments when I fight my biggest battle.  Controlling / avoiding frustration.  Just ask my dear husband what my biggest weakness is and I’m sure he could answer in a heartbeat, frustration.  I get frustrated easily, especially with things I feel I should be able to do perfectly, but can’t.  Somehow knowing it was someone else's fault helps me face situations with a little more grace.  But today it was just a mountain of little frustrations attacking my peace.  It’s so good to have God’s word to go to when we need rest.  Some of the scriptures below help me fight against my frustration, and to rest even during the busiest and most frustrating times in my life.  I hope they will do the same for you.
The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Exodus 33:14

“Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest;  even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.”
Exodus 34:21

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29

. . . My soul finds rest in God alone;  my salvation comes from him.
Psalm 62:1

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him. 
Psalm 62:5

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
Psalm 91:1
All in all the Lord helped me to rest in Him today, and it turned out pretty great at the end.  An awesome meal, the company of not only my husband and children, but also of my two nephews who came to stay the night, and a nice cup of hot chocolate.  Now the house is quiet and dark and it’s a perfect time for me to REST!

0 comments:

Post a Comment