Sunday, October 24, 2010

DART


My husband’s birthday was this past weekend.  We took a mini-vacation to Dallas.  Saw Veggie Tales Live on Friday night.  Stayed at a hotel, or as Josiah called it a “house for lots of people.”  And planned to go to the Holocaust Museum.  We could see the DART train from our hotel window and the boys were very excited about it.  They both asked to go on the choo choo.  We decided to take the train to the museum since it was not far away, we wouldn’t have to look for parking, and the boys would get their train ride.  
It was raining and even though the train stop was right across the street from the hotel we stepped in some puddles and were half soaked by the time we made it.  We decided to forgot the museum and just take a ride on the train.  As we rode we marveled at the huge buildings and scenery downtown.  Such a different lifestyle than that of the suburbs.  
As we continued on, we left downtown and entered some of the poorer areas of Dallas.  Again we noticed differences between what we were seeing and the area we live in.  This time we were seeing houses with bars on the windows and doors, and run down liquor stores.  
At one point a kid (probably about 14 years old)  got on and let out a puff of pot smoke.  Obviously high and accompanied by a prostitute he made me want to cry.  You could almost see the spirit of manipulation, hopelessness and bondage on him.  All I could do was pray.  
What do I know of DFW?  All I see is what’s in my circle.  Houses with well trimmed lawns, stores and restaurants, iphones and coffee shops, lacking nothing, abiding in the richness that is the presence of the Holy Spirit, while there is a world out there in need.  Help me to see.  Bring me to my knees for them.  Show me how to shine your light.
Feeling complacent?  I encourage you to take a trip on public transportation.  See the people.  Look them in the eye.  They are just like you.  Precious in God’s sight.  Jesus died for them.  Renew your prayer life.  Refresh your outlook.  See what God sees.
But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
Luke 10:29

0 comments:

Post a Comment