Monday, February 21, 2011

Salvation - MY Story Part 10


In middle school a friend invited me to her church camp.  I had grown up going from camp to camp during the summers.  I would go to week long camps and was home only to unpack wash clothes and repack on weekends.  So I went.  While I was there a counselor told me something I had never heard before.  I was NOT going to Heaven.  Seriously.  I had no idea and I had been “in church” my whole life. 

Just to be clear I’m not being sarcastic.  I really had been in church almost every Sunday for my whole life and had no clue that you had to accept and confess Christ for salvation!  So the counselor told me what I needed to do, and asked me if I wanted to.  I said yes and it was left at that. 

No, she didn’t pray with me.  But she did put me on the spot when my mom picked me up.  She told me to make sure and tell her about the decision I made.  She said it right in front of her.  So I did. 

I didn’t quite get the reaction I was expecting.  She began to tell me how it was a serious decision to become a Christian and that basically it meant that I had to become perfect.  No more arguing.  No more talking back.  No more messy room.  No more laziness.  No more sleeping late.  No more bad attitudes.  And the list went on and on.  When I talked to my dad I got a similar reaction.

Again, no, she didn’t pray with me.  No one did.  And although I had planned to spend some time with God in a special spot and commit my life to him, I didn’t.  I was put off by the idea that once I officially became a Christian that God would require perfection.  It was something I could never live up to. 

But I continued to read my Bible, pray, and seek Him.  A few weeks later a forgotten memory came back just in time.  I have no idea when I was saved.  I know how, and that no one laid it out for me.  I was young and it was natural.  It was intimate.  It was God and it was me. 

I remember I was in a car parked on the side of the road.  I was alone and there was the most incredible sunset.  An Amy Grant tape was playing (thanks Aunt Christine for being faithful and sending us Christian tapes!).  When it came to the song “Got To Let It Go”, I sang with all my heart and soul.  I prayed.  I was saved.  I was reborn.

Got To Let It Go
Songwriters: Bannister, Brown;Smith, Michael W;Keister, Shane;Chapman, G;Grant, Amy

All my life-time plans,
I got 'em in my hands.
Balancing my fate upon a wire.
Got to let it go.
Everywhere I turn I see
There's nowhere left to go.
All my dreams are far,
Too much for me to hold.
Still I hate to drop them,
Weren't they from you?
What did I do?

You are the one that can see,
Into the heart of me.
Am I really giving up tomorrow?
Got, got, got to let it go.
This is gonna hurt a little,
Still it's right I know.
Got to let it --
Even though I fear
Too much of me might show,
I can't wait any longer for it,
I've had enough!
I'll give it up!

Lord, here's my heart,
I've been keeping it from you,
And I got to let it go.
Holding on just breaks me, worry,
Got to let it go,
Come and take it from me, hurry,
Got to let it go.
Go to let it -- got to let it go.
Got to give up all of my control!

Holding on too tight,
Where do I lose sight?
Where's the lamb that seems to bring frustration,
Go to let it go.
The best of dreams can turn to nightmares,
When my heart takes hold.
How long must I learn?
This lesson's getting old,
I've got to catch a clearer vision,
I'm in Your hands!
You're in command!

Lord, here's my heart
I've been keeping it from you!
And I got to let it go.
Holding on just breaks me, worry,
Got to let it go.
Come and take it from me, hurry,
Got to let it go.
Oh, I've got to let it go.
Got to give up all of my control!



For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God
Ephesians 2:8

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
Romans 3:23

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.
Romans 10:9-10


If you’re not sure of your salvation you can be.  Just pray.

Jesus, I know I’ve messed up.  I’ve done the wrong things.  I’ve said the wrong things.  I’ve had the wrong attitude.  I’ve sinned.  Please forgive me.  I know that you died to save me and I recognize you as my King.  You are God and I give my life to you.  Thank you for the gift of salvation and the opportunity to spend eternity with you.

10 comments:

  1. Great inspiration

    Happy tumble Tuesday http://booksyourkidswilllove.blogspot.com/2011/01/feed-newsflesh.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so does this mean that your parents believe they are perfect and do not sin? What a hard thing to comprehend when you are a child. I was 16 when I came to Christ. My mother is a proclaimed atheist, but I knew as a child there had to be something more, but to be told as a child you had to be perfect...man how do you ever live up. Are your parents Christians or do they just have misguided beliefs?

    I'm following from the Tuesday Blog Train, I would love for you to follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What most people don't realize is that perfection will not and cannot come until after we have been resurrected. What God requires of us is to love much and do what we can.
    Thanks for your post!
    New follower!
    Stumbled your post!
    http://wheelchairdecor.blogspot.com/
    Thanks, Becky Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Love this post...very meaningful and inspirational. Thanks for sharing!

    Stumbling! My post is: http://www.keenlykristin.com/2011/02/make-it-your-mission.html

    Thanks!
    Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is SO real and we are not perfect, but He is and He can make everything right for us...it doesn't mean we will have a perfect life...it will just a be a right one with Him!!

    I am blog hopping today and I am happy I found your blog.

    Please stop by and say hello and follow (if you aren't already) my blogs as well:

    Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

    and So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE Custom Blog Designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you there!!

    Have a blessed Tuesday!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. New follower. Stumbled this.

    www.wyrdings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that had to be hard to comprehend as a teen, that your parents thought being a Christian meant being perfect. We all sin, none of us are perfect. Thanks for sharing your story!

    I stumbled your post! Would love if you stumbled mine: http://www.texastypeamom.com/2011/02/all-by-myself.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a Stumble Tumble Tuesday-Wednesday friend ;)

    http://kellysluckyyou.com/2011/02/viewing-guide-to-the-oscars-in-the-know-for-the-2011-academy-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  9. To answer some of your comments: Please remember that this is my story as I remember it. It is written completely from my perspective and what I felt and understood at the time. This is what I understood and not necessarily what they intended to convey. For more clarification please read the story from the beginning. Thanks so much for your encouragement and for following my journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I've been *there*, again and again. I want to say I got it, this time. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete