Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The D Word - My Story Part 5


It didn’t take long after my brother’s death for the delicate balance in our house to turn volatile.  Loud arguments became commonplace and now I had no big brother to distract me. 
With no real outlet for their grief my parents took it out on each other and before long the home they made became a battle-zone of words.  But wounding each other didn’t help and soon the relationship was lost.  The family broken. 
I don’t remember who told me about the divorce or how.  What I do remember was relief.  No more fighting.  No more screaming.  My mother was off drugs and I thought finally there would be peace. 
I was wrong.
Divorce is not an instrument of peace.  It’s an instrument of destruction.  It destroys a family.  It destroys a promise.  It destroys a union blessed by God.
I know in some cases it’s necessary, and Biblically it is permitted in some situations.  Regardless it is a destructive force that causes division, not union.

One day the Pharisees were badgering him: “Is it legal for a man to divorce his wife for any reason?”  He answered, “Haven’t you read in your Bible that the Creator originally made man and woman for each other, male and female?  And because of this, a man leaves father and mother and is firmly bonded to his wife, becoming one flesh—no longer two bodies but one.  Because God created this organic union of the two sexes, no one should desecrate his art by cutting them apart.”  They shot back in rebuttal, “If that’s so, why did Moses give instructions for divorce papers and divorce procedures?”  Jesus said, “Moses provided for divorce as a concession to your hardheartedness, but it is not part of God’s original plan.
 
Matthew 19:3-8

1 comment:

  1. Divorce is distructive. So well put, friend. We fight for our marriages, every day, bc the enemy is always trying to separate us, to weaken us. We have to stand strong. United.

    ReplyDelete