Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Nearly Blank Slate - MY Story Part 8


I’m not sure when it happened, but I know I was young.  
My memories just disappeared, as quickly as they had come.

Ok, so I’ll stop the cheesy rhyming now.  Well . . . maybe.  But it did happen.  I lost my memory.  Not amnesia, but my long term memory.  At some point I went from having a regular memory of my childhood to only remembering a few key events.  And even those I remember without to much detail. 

You may have been wondering why my stories are so vague and if you were, there’s your answer.  I’ve forgotten. 

I saw (or was forced to see) several psychologists and psychiatrists during my childhood.  At one of those appointments the doctor was asking me questions about my past that I didn’t know the answer to.  He specifically asked me about my parents’ motorcycle accident.  He wanted to know how my mother laid in the hospital bed.  On her back, side, or stomach.  I didn’t remember.  I still don’t remember.  He couldn’t believe that I had taken care of her like that for a year and couldn’t remember.

He began to yell at me angrily that I had blocked out my childhood because it was traumatic and that the memories would come back to me in flash backs and haunt me for the rest of my life. 

He was wrong.

Did my memories get blocked out?  Yes.  Have they come back to me in haunting, terrifying flash backs, like he said they would?  No.  Do I have any reason to believe they will?  NO!
My mind has been renewed!  My mind is controlled by the Holy Spirit!  My thoughts are taken captive in obedience to Christ.  I have peace and I have victory.  That’s what God’s word tells me and it’s what I choose to believe.


The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;
 

Romans 8:6

 

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of you mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.
 

Romans 12:2

 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
 

2 Corinthians 10:5

0 comments:

Post a Comment