Monday, July 25, 2011

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

Photobucket




I walked outside today at the request of my 2 year old son.  He asked for a toy that was on the back patio and I obliged him.  Out I went into the Texas summer heat intent on retrieving the monster truck that my son longed for.  Sure I’d receive a smile and a “thank you Mommy.”  
Instead I hear a little voice coming from the house.  It says, “Wait!  Mommy, you need shoes!”
It’s a rule we have for the boys and one I often times don’t follow.  If you go outside you need to wear shoes.  And I want to say it.  That ridiculous saying.  “Do what I say, not what I do.”  
But that philosophy just doesn’t work for me.  I teach by example.  Because regardless of whether I want them to, they are always watching and learning from what I do.  Sometimes I teach what is right.  Sometimes I don’t.  But, I try my hardest, often times more for them than for me, to be who I want them to be, and to do what I want them to do.  
So instead I answer.  “Oh, you’re right!  I need shoes.”  I kiss his sweet head, and hand him his truck.  And I think about how different things would have been if Jesus had taken the “do what I say, not what I do” attitude.  And I’m grateful he taught by example instead.
Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
1 Corinthians 11:1

5 comments:

  1. I love that Jesus always demonstrated first and then said do as I do - like washing the feet of the disciples. What a great example to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one wise mama! They notice everything, and they remember what we do.

    You have 3 boys? I have 4 sons. Come see me sometime!

    I checked out Mamas Write. Wish I were in the DFW area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreeing with Laura...you are a wise mama:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are always watching, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful story to illustrate a simple (but sometimes hard to follow) point!

    ReplyDelete