Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Two Years Ago - Matthew Turns 2


“Watch, do it just like this.”  I attempt to jump from one foot to another in a dance move I was teaching at church.  I fall.  We hear a snap.  Hmmm.  Ok maybe that’s not how it goes.  
I broke my foot.  6 weeks on crutches.  Josiah was a little over a year old and he still wasn’t walking.  X-rays, pain meds, and not being able to carry around a crawler was interesting to say the least.  It got even more so when I started being exhausted and having morning sickness.  Now I was a pregnant mom of a crawler on crutches!
But the baby was healthy.  Praise God!  Despite the X-rays and pain meds.  The baby was healthy.  And just the right number of months later he was born.
It was Good Friday and my husband and I were leading worship.  I sneezed and my water broke.  Right there in front of the congregation.  But no one could tell.  We kept singing until the pastor came up to pray.  
As soon as everyone’s eyes were closed I scooted over to Samuel.  I whispered in his ear that it was time and I’d meet him at the car.  And I walked out.  My husband followed me a few minutes later and we were on our way.  
You can guess what happened next right?  Labor, labor, and more labor.  Everything seemed to be progressing like it should but the baby just wasn’t lowering at all.  18 hours in (that’s a few more than I was in labor with my first) and they told me they didn’t know what was wrong.  
They said they had to do a c-section and wheeled me off to the operating room.  It wasn’t until they opened me up they saw why he wasn’t lowering.  He was wrapped in his cord.  Even with the c-section they had a hard time getting him out because his head was stuck in my hips.  In the process my uterus tore.
But the baby was healthy.  And beautiful.  And born.  And two years later we celebrate him!
His name is Matthew.

"When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there's no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain.  The sadness you have right now is similar to that pain, but the coming joy is also similar. When I see you again, you'll be full of joy, and it will be a joy no one can rob from you.
John 16:21

0 comments:

Post a Comment