Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Listening Ear



A few weeks ago I took my boys with me to a craft show a couple of my friends (Ruby Leon Jewelry and Bella Bug Boutique) were participating in.  I found some great handmade goodies and got to chat with friends.  
I was happy looking around, meeting vendors and exchanging business cards.  But after about a half hour of that my boys patience began to grow thin, and we hadn’t even made it half way around the room.  
I was so glad when he found a lady to talk to.  She was so sweet and listened to him tell her everything he knew about dinosaurs for a few minutes as I was meeting other vendors a few steps away.  He had been fairly quiet and shy up until that point.  But he found something in that precious woman.  Something that made him open up and share everything he thought she might want to know.  He found a listening ear.  
Something happens when we recognize that someone is actually paying attention to what we say.  It inspires us to say more.  And to use words that have value.  When someone is listening we want to share things that are worth hearing.  
 I believe that God’s Holy Spirit speaks today like He did in Biblical times.  I don’t think the Holy Spirit has gone dumb, I think we’ve grown hard of hearing or in some cases even deaf.  I believe the Holy Spirit is active and seeking the same thing Josiah sought that day.  A listening ear.  Will He find it in me?  Will He find it in you?  If He does, there’s no limit to the wisdom He will share with us.
Then Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."
Mark 4:9
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.
Revelation 2:7

0 comments:

Post a Comment