Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Change In Authority - Meeting My Husband - MY Story Part 18



When I met my husband I had returned to the US, back to my mom’s house with just a suitcase.  I returned with every intention of fundraising to go back to Mexico longterm.  But while I felt prepared to minister in a foreign land to a foreign people, I wasn’t prepared to face my land, or my people.  I wasn’t prepared to fundraise.  I had no idea where to begin.  I wasn’t prepared to face, or minister to my own family either.  
Somehow it’s always harder to share with your family who God is and what he’s done in you.  The thing is that your family sees your faults.  And unless they are truly able to forgive, they will always see you with the same faults and weaknesses you had as a child.
And again I struggled.  It was the same battle between being who God said I was and being who my mom said I was.
A friend invited me to a Spanish speaking church and I attended their singles group.  And there he was.  Leading the worship team.  My Samuel.  
He asked me to join the team and I said no.  He asked me a second time and I said I couldn’t get the extra time off work.  He asked me a third time and I gave him the same answer.  
Then the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart.  He said I was placing my job above serving Him.  So I asked Samuel if I could join the worship team.
From there we got to know each other.  Became friends.  Started dating.  And got engaged.
When we got married Samuel told me something that changed me forever.  He said that I was under a new authority.  His.  He would lead me.  He would protect me.  He would love me.  
And with that my long struggle ended.  It’s what I needed.  A change in authority.  I was no longer under the influence or authority of my parents, but of my husband.
Therefore a man leaves his father and mother and embraces his wife. They become one flesh.
Genesis 2:23
This is how my change in authority came about.  If you need a new Godly authority in your life seek it out.  It doesn’t have to be through marriage.  It can be through finding spiritual parents.  Seek God in all and He will lead you to the right people.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I actually was in Africa as a missionary and came home with two suitcases AND a husband. Coming fromn a missionary family it was hard to accept the authority of a husband in business. I struggled for years but, after God, my husband is my authority. He leads and directs me, confronts me and wants the best for me. He now is a pastor by the way.
    This was a good lesson to learn early in your married life. It took me a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, what a perfect love story. I'm so happy for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm something to think about. My husband and I had a covenant marriage - however I left obey out of the vows (told him that up front too :p). Kinda seems contrary and a bit defiant after reading this....

    ReplyDelete