Monday, January 31, 2011

When All You Can Do Is Pray



I worked in the nursery at church today.  I just started helping out and love having the opportunity to care for, bless, sing to, and pray for those tiny precious children.  A lady came in to change a diaper and the children’s pastor in the nursery asked her who’s baby it was.  It was a foster baby they just took in.  He came to them straight from the hospital and his head is misshapen from the beatings he endured.  

He is 6 months old.
 

I was in a women’s meeting the other day.  We spoke about our fears.  Among our fears of babies getting fevers, and financial difficulties a few women began to share about their marriages being on the brink of disaster.  

Drinking and possible divorce.
 

I got an email from a friend on Friday.  I didn’t know she had a brother who lived in a foreign country with his family.  Egypt is in the midst of revolt.  

He lives in Cairo.
 

When we took Josiah to the ER the other day to get some staples someone rolled a young man into the ER in a wheelchair as we were walking out.  He was bleeding and in really bad shape.  We couldn’t tell if he’d been shot, beaten, or in an accident.  As we got the boys into their carseats we saw the people who pushed him in running to their car and speed away.  

Leaving him alone.
 

These are just a few examples of the need my eyes have been opened to in the past few weeks.  So many times I find myself lacking in words and resources to help.  And I find that all I can do is pray.
 
When what I have and who I am just isn’t enough.  When I don’t have the answers.  I can run to the one who does.  I can run to the one who is. 
 

And I pray.

 
When life is heavy and hard to take, 
   go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions: 
   Wait for hope to appear.
Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face. 
   The "worst" is never the worst.
 
Lamentations 3:28-30

 

 . . . The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.
 

James 5:16

8 comments:

  1. wow. what a 'heart heavy' week!

    It is so wonderful to be able to pray to our God and even when words fail us, he hears us.

    (I'm here from Tuesday Blog Trail hop)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There for the grace of god go I... Moments like this not only remind you to pray, but make you look on your own life with new eyes.
    I am coming for Stacies Stumbles - Not only am I stumbling, but also following! Great post!
    Emily
    www.familylifeinlv.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The burden is very great, isn't it? Sometimes, prayer is the only thing we can do for someone, but it's always the first thing we should do! Thank you for your sweet post.

    BTW, I'm following back from the To-the-TOP Tuesdays blog hop. Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories like these put your own problems into perspective. The world would be a much nicer place if we could all have peace in our hearts.

    Found you via Tuesday blog hopping, glad to follow your lovely blog.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. Sometimes all you can do is pray. And that is a powerful thing to do. I love the path you are on. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate hearing about children who are abused. Sad. Just wanted to let you know I'm following you from the To The Top Tuesday Blog Hop.


    Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stumbled this great article I hope you will stumble mine back.
    Thank you,
    Amee from www.madamedeals.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for being a prayer warrior! Prayer can move mountains! God Bless you! Found you on a blog hop and following you now.

    ReplyDelete