Thursday, January 13, 2011

Stinky Sweet



Matthew had a SUPER stinky diaper yesterday.  And I mean SUPER stinky!!!  I know.  To much information, right?  But hang in with me, there’s a reason I’m describing the contents of my son’s diaper. 

If you have children in diapers and your husband and you are both home when one drops the stinky bomb, what happens?  Do you both run to voluntarily change it at once?  Does your husband say, “Sweetheart, you’ve been changing diapers all day long.  It’s my turn.”  Do you reply “No baby, I’ve got it.  You’ve had a long day at work, go put your feet up.”  No?  Really?  I’m shocked!!!  That doesn’t happen at our house either.  We tend to start out ignoring it, under the assumption that whoever “notices” it first should be the one to change it.  Then inevitably one of us will say to the other.  “Ummm I think Matthew’s stinky.”  We say this in the hopes that the other will in fact volunteer to change him. 

Well this time Samuel wasn’t home so it was going to be me either way.  So I took him to the changing table and it wasn’t pretty.  It was one of those times that I thanked God I wasn’t pregnant cause it would have sent me running to the bathroom!  Ok, enough description.  The point is that as soon as he was clean and redressed he started playing peek-a-boo with me.  And we stayed there.  And had the sweetest one-on-one mother son moment!  Smiling and giggling abounded.  I sigh and smile just remembering the joy on his face knowing that he and only he had my attention and affection for those few minutes. 

As I think back we’ve had a lot of great times standing at that changing table.  In fact when Josiah was a baby that was the one place we could be sure he’d smile.  We have a TON of pictures of him on that changing table.  It seems that cleaning the stinky poo off the bottom of your son, creates a special kind of bond.  A special kind of love. 

It’s similar to the bond that forms between God and his children, but our filth is MUCH stinkier than my Matthew’s diaper.  When He forgives us and cleanses us from our sin it’s always a bonding moment!  Our love grows for Him just like my son’s love grows for me.  It turns a stinky moment into a sweet one.

 
Impressive, isn’t it?  She was forgiven many, many sins, and so she is very, very grateful.  If the forgiveness is minimal, the gratitude is minimal.”

Luke 7:47

. . . This is God’s Message:  “If your sins are blood-red, they’ll be snow-white.  If they’re red like crimson, they’ll be like wool.
 

Isaiah 1:18

0 comments:

Post a Comment