Monday, November 22, 2010

I See The Baby


I was playing with Baby Caleb this evening and he was smiling and giggling and eating up all the attention.  But out of the corner of my eye I was seeing the growing mound of clean laundry across the living room on the other couch. 

It was trying to taunt me.  Saying “Hey!  Fold me!  Hang me up!  Put me away!”  I ignored it and went back to playing with the baby.  I wasn’t going to let a pile of laundry ruin my special moment with the baby. 

I chose not to see the laundry, but to see, to REALLY see the baby.  I saw the joy in his eyes when he saw me smile at him.  I heard the giggles bubble up from inside him when I tickled his belly.  I felt the softness of his skin as I caressed his cheek.  I love that baby and no pile of laundry or dishes or any other chore is more important than sharing my love with him. 
I’ve met people who look at my children as a chore.  Sounds terrible, but it’s true.  When they find out that all three are mine and they are all ages 3 and under the first thing they say is, “wow, you must be busy!”  Or, “I bet you have to do laundry every day!”  (which I do, by the way)  Or how do you do it? 

When I look at them, I don’t see the meals I have to prepare, the floors I have to clean, the dinosaurs and cars I have to pick up, the diapers I have to change, the noses I have to wipe, the laundry I have to do, the dishes I have to wash, or the nails I have to clip.  I see my boys.  I see my babies.  I see LOVE. 

Lord, help us to have Mary’s heart and attitude when it comes to our families.  Let us treasure our time with You, our husbands, and our children the way that she did. 

She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"  "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."
Luke 10:39-42

1 comment: