Thursday, September 1, 2011

An Honest Scale

Photobucket


I just got this super cool photo prop!  So of course as soon as it came in the mail I had to run out to the backyard for a spontaneous i-phone photo session with Chico.  I stripped him down, sat him down, and began to shoot. 

I got some cute pictures, I would call them adorable actually.  There was just one problem.  The scale says that Chico weighs 15 and a half pounds. 

You see, when I took him for his one year old check up a month and a half ago he weighed 19 lbs. 10 oz.  So little Chico’s looking smaller than he really is in the picture.  And it’s not because there’s something wrong with the scale.  When he sat down on it at first it measured right around 20 pounds. 

But then he put his feet on the ground.  And then he discovered he could bounce up an down on the scale.  Lots of fun, but not so great for snapping a photo with his actual weight.

Do you leave one foot off when you step on the scale?  Bounce around?  Do anything hoping you can skew the results that flash back at you? 

What about the scales that really matter?  That measure your heart.  That measure your obedience.  That measure your faith. 

Those are things we can fake in front of the eyes of men, but God, who is the true tester of our souls will always know the truth.  He knows us inside and out.  


Always has.  

Always will.

Can we stand before him?  Just as we are.  No bouncing around.  Baring our sinful nature.  Seeking his truth.  Seeking to grow.




You have searched me, Lord,
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
 

Psalm 139:1-4

4 comments:

  1. So true! Thank you for this post! And yes, this picture is adorable, even if it is inaccurate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, yes I have tried to alter the numbers on the scale a time or two. It is so nice that I don't have to do that with God, even if I try He knows my heart, my intentions, He probably get me more than I get me :)

    Thank you for this thought provoking post.

    Blessings,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great connection, and so true! So often we think we can "fudge" our relationship with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, and the picture is priceless!

    I have a digital scale, and I love those times when I step off, and the readout reads ERROR. I hop back on, and the number is 2lbs. lighter. I wonder how that works as a metaphor - the weight we carry around when we could ask God to help us carry it?

    ReplyDelete