Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Night At Abuelita’s



We dropped our two oldest boys off at their Abuelita’s (Grandma’s) house tonight.  I have a super long to do list tomorrow and need to get some work done.  So they’ll stay the night and will be there tomorrow.  We also took advantage of them being with Abuelita to get some tacos and go see a movie with only the baby in tow.
Josiah (age 3 and my oldest) had taken a long nap and was still kind of groggy when we got them buckled into the car.  We told them we were taking them to their Abuelita’s and Josiah was crying saying he didn’t want to go, that he wanted to go with me.  We distracted him and he calmed down.
But when we got there and were going to leave, I gave him a kiss.  He started bawling and held tight to my leg.  I tried to explain to him that I needed to work and I would come get him the next day.  Samuel tried to explain to him that he was going to have lots of fun with Abuelita.  But there’s just no reasoning with a hysterical three year old.  So my Mother In Law scooped him up and we made a run for it.  And the screams getting faded away as we got into the car.
And my heart broke.  And I hurt for him.  And I hurt for me.  Do I really have to let him go?  Can’t he be with me always?  But I know that I’ll pick him up tomorrow.  I know that it’s good for him to be on his own every once in a while.  I know he’s being extremely well cared for and loved.  Maybe even spoiled a little.  It’s also good for me to have some quiet time now and then.  To be productive.  To be with God.  But still the separation hurts.
If this temporary separation hurts me so much, I can only imagine what God must feel when one of His children walks away.  When we cut ourselves off from him through our own free will.  Through our sin.  My son is in the hands of a caring, loving, protective grandmother.  While when one of God’s children is separated from Him, they are in the hands of an enemy who seeks to destroy them.  How His heart must hurt.  How my heart aches with His.  
When you find a lost child you help them find their parents.  Call the police.  People look.  People search.  People do everything they can to reunite them.  As I look at the world I see so many lost children.  Unaware they’ve lost the connection with their Father.  Unaware of the separation that exists between them.  
What can we do to reunite them?  Can we bring healing to a Father’s heart that breaks over the loss of His children?  Can we play a part in bringing celebration to Heaven over a child who was once lost, but now is found?   
Yet the rescuing gift is not exactly parallel to the death-dealing sin. If one man’s sin put crowds of people at the dead-end abyss of separation from God, just think what God’s gift poured through one man, Jesus Christ, will do!
Romans 5:15
God isn’t late with his promise as some measure lateness. He is restraining himself on account of you, holding back the End because he doesn’t want anyone lost. He’s giving everyone space and time to change.
2 Peter 3:9

0 comments:

Post a Comment