Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Faith Like Josiah's



My boys amaze me sometimes.  They were at their Abuelita’s (Grandma’s) house yesterday.  I was working at my new favorite coffee shop (if you’re near Arlington you’ve gotta check out Mochalux!) at lunch time.  I called to check on them.  As soon as my mother-in-law answered the phone I heard screaming, crying, and overall insanity in the background.  *Deep Breath*  She was telling Josiah to raise his arms.  In case you’re not Mexican or related to Mexicans.  This seems to be a cure all.  For hiccups, nausia, etc.  Or it might just be in my husband’s family.  Either way I knew something was wrong.  
He had a fever and was vomiting.  Ok.  I’m on my way.  So I quickly pack up myself and the baby.  Grab the diaper bag, computer bag, heavy 8 month old little boy in his heavy car seat and try to maneuver my way through the chairs and tables.  Did you notice I said “try”?  As in I wasn’t quite successful?  
I fell.  Caleb was close to the floor anyway so he was only jostled and wasn’t phased by it.  I fell on my knees, but wasn’t hurt.  But I heard my macbook pro hit the ground with a smack!  Only minor damage was done and it’s fully functional so that’s ok to.  
I just needed to get out of there and to my sick boy!
When I walked in my mother-in-law’s house Josiah was lying on top of a big soft blanket on the coffee table, in his undies, hugging his pillow pet.  As soon as he saw me he told me all about how he vomited and how he had cried for me.  I held him and prayed for him.  And he snuggled with me and smiled.  
Later after we got home.  And it was time for bed.  He asked me for chocomil (Chocolate Milk).  I shook my head.  Chocolate milk on an uneasy tummy just didn’t seem like a good idea to me.  I told him no, because it could make him sick again.  He said he wouldn’t vomit again, because Jesus had healed him.  He smiled so sweetly and said it with such certainty.  I made him and Matthew their chocolate milk.  As Josiah drank.  He stopped, and exclaimed with a huge grin, “See!  I’m not vomiting!  Jesus healed me!”
And he didn’t vomit.
Matthew did.
How I struggle to have a faith like Josiah’s.  I know what the Word says.  I declare it.  I say I believe it.  I do believe it, but not like Josiah does.  I long to believe like he does.  With such innocence.  Without doubts, or fears.  A pure faith.
A faith like Josiah’s.
The people brought children to Jesus, hoping he might touch them.  The disciples shooed them off. But Jesus was irate and let them know it: "Don't push these children away. Don't ever get between them and me. These children are at the very center of life in the kingdom.  Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in."  Then, gathering the children up in his arms, he laid his hands of blessing on them.
Mark 10:13-16

3 comments:

  1. Oh, to have the faith of a child. Beautiful.

    I am here (and following) from the Friday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! I hope everyone is well now. ~♥~ Happy Fingerprint Friday. ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet! I literally laughed out loud when I read that Josiah didn't, but Matthew did. Not at the actual illness, mind you...but your writing was so cute. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete