Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hallelujah!


We had an awesome worshiping in the presence of God at church this afternoon.  We ended singing Hallelujah.  It got me thinking.  I’m not sure what it is about the word Hallelujah that makes it so useful in our worship.  It means “glory to God”.  But for me saying “glory to God” and saying “Hallelujah” are two very different things.  As far as I know Hallelujah is the only word that never needs translation.  Also many people may say “glory to God” and actually be referring to a false God they worship.  Hallelujah always refers to the one true God.  Regardless of what country you are in or what language you may speak Hallelujah is said the same way and for the same purpose, to give glory to the Living God.  It is something that identifies us as Christians and can unify us as a body.  
I did a Bible search and was surprised to find that the word Hallelujah only appears 4 times in the Bible!  Now as I have said, I’m certainly no Bible scholar.  I don’t have any degrees or titles so if you have found Hallelujah elsewhere please let me know, because I would love to study more about this precious word.  I was even more surprised to discover that the four times the word appears in scripture are all in Revelation 19.  The first part of this chapter where Hallelujah appears is a vision of worship in Heaven.  The multitudes, the elders, the living creatures, they were all worshiping God by shouting Hallelujah!  
How awesome is it to know that we have the amazing privilege to worship here on earth the same way they are worshiping in Heaven.  Could it be that this word is a glimpse into a heavenly language?  Is that way it is so precious to those of us who are called to worship?  Is that why it is so offensive to those who still live in darkness?  I seem to have more questions than answers today, but I think that’s a good thing.  Sometimes we need to stop and meditate on what we are doing in our walk with the Lord.  When we do, each step we take comes with a deeper significance.  How did you worship Jesus today?  Did you stop to contemplate the words that came out of your mouth? 
Lord, help us to be active, conscious participants in worship.  May the words that come from our mouths truly come from our hearts and be acceptable in Your presence.  
After this I heard what sounded like the roar of a great multitude in heaven shouting:  “Hallelujah!  Salvation and glory and power belong to our God,”
Revelation 19:1
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks.
John 4:23


0 comments:

Post a Comment