Friday, November 20, 2009

The Ants Go Marching . . .


Although I hate to say it we have tiny little ants at our house.  And as much as I have tried they keep coming back.  First they were in an opening in the wall of our living room.  I sprayed there and they reappeared under the kitchen table.  I sprayed there and they reappeared crawling out from under the coffee maker and from a tiny crack under the sink.  I sprayed there and they reappeared in the cabinet that I keep flour and sugar in.  They liked it there.  So I cleared out the cabinet and threw everything away.  The next morning I made coffee and offered it to my husband without realizing there was no sugar, and we don’t drink it black.  But I digress.  I sprayed there and today they reappeared crawling up the entrance to the garage.  It makes me think of Proverbs 6:6.  I guess after a week of waging war on ants it was about time I remembered that Proverbs encourages us to learn from them.  And there is so much to learn.  But since I have never studied entomology (the study of insects, yes I googled it to find out the proper term) I’ll focus the obvious.  Ants just don’t give up!  They want to be in my house.  I attack them here and they move there and so the saga continues.  They are persistent, always active, and never lazy.  Wow is that really how I should be?  This is actually key in my life right now as our family is at a place where we are seeking a clear word and direction from God.  We’ve got to keep at it.  We’ve got to keep praying.  We’ve got to keep spending time in His presence.  We’ve got to keep striving to be more like Him.  We’ve got to keep waiting patiently on His timing.  And we must keep on being faithful in what he has given us.  Galatians says that if we do this we will reap the harvest!  It can be hard when we have mountains of laundry to wash, babies to feed, and kids who wake up in the middle of the night.  But if we allow ourselves to be constantly distracted by life and don’t make finding time to focus on the Giver of Life and being in his presence a priority, we won’t hear Him when He speaks.  Our spirit won’t be able to recognize his gentle voice.  We could lose our harvest.  The good news?  God gives us the challenge, but he also gives us the answer.  He says don’t be a sluggard, don’t give up!  But he also says if we put our hope in Him we will run and not grow weary, walk and not faint.  Let’s keep our hopes in the Lord and watch Him renew our strength!
Go to the ant, you sluggard;  consider its ways and be wise!
Proverbs 6:6
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31


0 comments:

Post a Comment