Thursday, November 3, 2011

The "Boy" Flower

Photobucket



Grande gave me a flower.  It’s blue.  It’s plastic.  It’s made out of some sort of construction toys.  It’s 100% BOY.  He made it for me.  He asked if I would keep it.  He wanted me to put it in my hair.  It was a gift.  Days later he still asks where I have my flower.  I love it.
There’s something about boys.  They use what they have.  Give them some dirt, they’ll make roads.  Give them a stick, they’ll make a gun that converts into a sword, and then converts into a horse, and then converts into a baseball bat.  
It reminds me of a little boy with five small loaves of bread and two small fish.  He used what he had.  He offered what he had.  And the Lord used it to feed a multitude.  
I find it interesting that the loaves and fish were called “small”.  Almost reducing the already diminished ability they apparently held to feed the crowd.  I wonder what “small” things we have lying around waiting for God to use them in GREAT ways.  
What are our loaves and fishes?  Are we ready to offer them to the Lord?
"Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?"
John 6:9
God said it clearly to Moses when he asked him what was in his hand.  He had a staff and if you don’t remember all the amazing things God did through that staff you may want to read through Exodus again.  
Then the Lord said to him, "What is that in your hand?"
"A staff," he replied.
The Lord said, "Throw it on the ground."
Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it.  Then the Lord said to him, "Reach out your hand and take it by the tail." So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand.
Exodus 4:2-4
So now the question is posed to you.  
“What is that in your hand?”

12 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your posts....and I add this...what is at our finger tips? The keys that can type out words that lift up and encourage...love others...and I thank you for doing that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. How precious is that?! What a sweet little boy. Thanks for the challenge...what IS that in my hand? I'll be thinking over that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a precious gift! We love K'nex! As mom to three boys (and 4 girls), it is amazing how differently they approach tasks and play and learning and everything.

    I love that you are focusing here on us paying attention to what He has already given us. So many times, we want "something else" when what He desires is for us to trust Him with the talents/gifts/abilities/resources He has already entrusted into our charge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed by the twist of your posts and the beautiful way you find God in the ordinary. I LOVE your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great question! Sometimes we see things as being insignificant, but God can do mighty works through our small things.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so precious and absolutely sweet. i love having a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. In preparing to teach Sunday school, I've been, recently, in the second part of this chapter. I think it's so interesting that the disciples had the miraculous loaves and fish experience earlier in the same day of Peter's sinking for doubt and lack of faith. But you're right: God can do so much with the smallest people and things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you linked this up!! Thank you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so precious. Boys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post with a wonderful question to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog, I so enjoyed your thoughts. It will make me remember that little things count.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I am always amazed at how God takes what we have to offer, however meager an offering it is, and turns it into something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete