Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Burnt Oatmeal


So the picture above is definitely NOT what I wanted to be looking at this morning, but it is the end result of my burning oatmeal twice.  I never make oatmeal.  Mainly because I’m not a big fan.  Breakfast to me means eggs and coffee.  Anything else can be added, but if there’s no eggs or coffee it just seems like something’s missing.  But I’ve had a cold and Sammy told me that he heard you’re not supposed to eat eggs when you’re sick.  Ok, I’ve never heard that, but since he said it I couldn’t just turn around and make eggs.  Besides, it could be true?  Maybe.  So when I asked him if he wanted breakfast before he left for work and he asked what I was going to make, the first thing I could come up with was oatmeal. 

The thing about burning oatmeal is that even if only the bottom burns, the smell and burnt flavor goes all the way through.  YUCK!  The same thing happens to me on occasion with rice.  So I have to throw it away and start from scratch.  There are a lot of things like that.  Part of it goes bad and the whole thing is trash.

The Bible tells us that our eyes are like that.  If our eyes go bad than our whole bodies are full of darkness.  Yikes!  I find this especially important as a mother of 3 boys.  I want them to have good eyes. 

Thanksgiving morning I was in the kitchen making breakfast and preparing the ham and sides to cook.  I had turned on the Macy’s day parade for the boys and every couple of minutes I heard them yelling “Spider Man!” “Buzz Lightyear!”  “Snoopy!”  Samuel was working on the computer at the kitchen table and at some point he looked up and commented that there was a big Victoria Secret’s ad right behind the parade.  Uhhh.  Really.  I was sure that I had picked something wholesome for my kids to watch!

If I want my eyes and my family’s eyes to remain good, I must be diligent and careful about what we see.  Just like if I don’t want to burn the oatmeal I’ve gotta be careful with the part at the bottom of the pot. 

Be careful little eyes what you see.

Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness.  See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.
Luke 11:34-35

0 comments:

Post a Comment